Cigna in Colorado

By Leslie Jablonski
Reviewed by Christine Corsini
Fact checked by Wiley Long
Updated Oct 13, 2023

Cigna in Colorado

cigna colo logo

The oldest stockholder-owned insurance company in the United States (it was founded in Philadelphia as the Insurance Company of North America  in 1792), Cigna provides health insurance coverage to more than 477,000 Colorado residents, and millions more across 13 states.

The Company is best known for providing health insurance to individuals and families both on and off the state Affordable Care Act exchanges, and for providing group health plans to employers in 13 states, mostly in the Southern United States. 

Specific plans available vary by county. But Cigna offers Colorado customers lots of choices: Residents of Denver County can choose from 57 different plans – many of them tailored to focus benefits on specific conditions, such as COPD, Asthma, or people who use a lot of expensive prescription drugs. 

affordable logo   Cigna Colorado Affordable Care Act-Qualified Plans 

Cigna offers two types of ACA-qualified plans through this site via the Connect For Health Colorado exchange: Health maintenance organizations (HMOs) and exclusive provider organizations.

HMO plans contract with local providers who agree to provide members with favorable pricing, which helps plans pass premium savings on to plan members.

With these plans, you must receive a referral from your primary care physician before the insurance company will authorize full benefits for non-emergency care for a specialist.

Exclusive provider organizations (EPOs):. These plans also cover non-emergency care only from in-network providers. Unlike HMOs, however, EPO plans don’t require you to get a referral from your primary care physician before they will cover care from a specialist. 

plans logo   Cigna Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum Plans in Colorado

Cigna offers within these two different policy types, Cigna offers Bronze, Silver, and Gold-tier plans to individuals and families, both on and off the Connect For Health Colorado exchange. However, only the plans offered on the Exchange are eligible for premium subsidies under the Affordable Care Act (for those who qualify).

Each of these “metal” plan tiers provide different levels of protection:

All three of these plans require you to meet a deductible each year.

After you meet your deductible, the plan will begin to help you pay your medical bills

Cigna Colorado Bronze plans

cover 60% of your medical costs over your deductible. You must pay 40%, up to your out-of-pocket limit for the plan you select.

Cigna Colorado Silver Plans

Cigna Silver plans

cover 70% of your medical costs over your deductible. You must pay the remaining 30%, up to your out-of-pocket limit for the plan you select. 

Cigna Colorado Gold Plans

Cigna Gold plans

cover 80% of your medical costs over your deductible. You must pay the remaining 20%, up to your out-of-pocket limit for the plan you select.

Cigna Colorado Platinum Plans

Cigna Platinum plans

cover 90% of your medical costs over your deductible. You must pay the remaining 10%, up to your out-of-pocket limit for the plan you select. 

best pick    How Do I Pick the Best Cigna Plan in Colorado? 

The best Cigna Colorado plan for you depends on your health, how much healthcare you expect to consume over the course of the year, and how much you can afford in monthly premiums, which you should calculate after assessing how much of a subsidy you may qualify for.

Your ColoHealth Personal Benefits Manager can help you compare your options and make your decision. 

Bronze plans are best for people who are in relatively good health, rarely see a doctor,  who are unlikely to spend their deductible on healthcare, and who want to keep their premiums low.

If you’re in this category, a high-deductible health plan, coupled with pre-tax contributions to a health savings account (HSA) may also be an excellent solution for you.

Cigna Platinum plans are a good fit for the other extreme: People who see doctors regularly, and expect to consume a lot of health care during the year, and will probably easily exceed their deductible

Each of these ‘metallic’ plans are eligible for “Obamacare” subsidies under the Affordable Care Act. 

option plan   Cigna Colorado Option 

Cost-conscious Coloradans can choose the so-called “Colorado Option,” both on and off the Colorado Connect For Health exchange. Note: You must buy the exchange version of the plan in order to qualify for a premium tax credit subsidy under the Affordable Care Act.

imdemnity  Cigna Colorado Indemnity Plans 

In addition to its HMO and EPO plans offered via the Connect for Health Colorado marketplace, Cigna also offers indemnity plans,

Unlike HMOs and EPOs, indemnity plans don’t restrict you to any specific care network. You can use nearly any doctor.

However, depending on your provider, you may have to pay your entire amount due for care up front, and then apply to the indemnity plan with receipts to be reimbursed. In other cases, you may be billed directly for services provided. You would then have to send the bills directly to Cigna for payment.

These plans aren’t available over the Connect for Health Colorado exchange. They are also not eligible for premium subsidies via the Affordable Care Act.

Instead, Cigna normally sells its indemnity plans through employers as part of their group health benefits.

These can be a great option, especially for higher-paid workers and professionals who aren’t so sensitive to premium prices, but want the freedom to use their health insurance benefit with any willing provider, and not be restricted to a narrow network of authorized care providers. 

Cigna Colorado Supplemental Benefits and Plans    Cigna Colorado Supplemental Benefits and Plans

 In addition to its major medical insurance, Cigna Health Colorado also sells several popular types of supplemental insurance coverage:

  • Lump sum heart attack and stroke insurance
  • Lump sum cancer insurance
  • Cancer treatment insurance
  • Hospital indemnity insurance
  • Accident treatment insurance
  • Whole life insurance

Each of these ancillary coverages are available either as part of an employer sponsored plan or direct to individuals who buy their own health insurance. 

Cigna Colorado Diabetes Care     Cigna Colorado Diabetes Care

Cigna enrollees with diabetes enjoy free preventative care across all plans. Generic prescription drugs used to help control diabetes are priced at $0. 

If you have diabetes, you can lower your out-of-pocket costs or more with a Cigna Diabetes Care program.

Benefits include: 

  • $25 maximum for a 30-day supply of insulin or $75 for a 90-day supply of insulin and some non-insulin medications. 
  • Free diabetes care supplies
  • Free diabetes management training
  • Select labs and exams are free

Diabetes Care Solution Plan provides free diabetes equipment and additional supplies. 

preventive services  Preventative Care

Cigna of Colorado generally provides free access to a wide range of preventative care services. There are $0 copay plans for routine visits, generic drugs, and virtual care, with generic prescription drugs available at $0. 

telehealth visits    Telehealth Visits

Cigna policyholders enjoy access to telehealth visits, which are fully covered. 

urgent care    Urgent Care

Cigna Colorado covers visits to urgent care clinics subject to a deductible and eyeglasses for children before you meet your deductible. However, you must make a copayment.

Cigna Colorado Healthy Rewards  Cigna Colorado Healthy Rewards

Cigna provides Colorado plan enrollees with exclusive discounts on a variety of health and wellness-related programs and services, including:

  • Fitness clubs
  • Fitness devices
  • Vision care
  • Lasik surgery
  • Eyeglasses discounts
  • Hearing exams
  • Hearing aids
  • Alternative medicine, including acupuncture, chiropractic care, and massage therapy
  • Yoga products and virtual workouts

…And more.

We’re Here to Help

HSA for America’s Personal Benefit Managers are here to guide you through the process of choosing the right health care plan for you and your family.  You can rest assured knowing your personal needs will be met in terms of finding the plan that will serve you best, while saving you money.

Cigna Colorado Frequently Asked Questions     Frequently Asked Questions About Cigna in Colorado

faq iconWhen is Open Enrollment in Colorado? 

Open enrollment for Cigna Affordable Care Act-qualified plans starts November 1st and runs through January 15th, 2023.

This is the time when all Colorado residents have the guaranteed right to enroll in the health insurance plan of their choice, without having to answer medical questions or go through medical underwriting.

This is usually the best time to contact a ColoHealth Personal Benefits Manager, see if you can qualify for financial help via an Affordable Care Act subsidy, and sign up for a new plan. 

faq iconI missed Open Enrollment. Can I still sign up

Possibly. The Affordable Care Act allows for a limited 60-day special enrollment for certain qualifying life events.

You may qualify for a special enrollment period if any of the following life-changing circumstances apply: 

  • You recently lost your health insurance coverage, or you expect to lose your coverage in the next 60 days
  • You lose your workplace health plan
  • You get married or divorced
  • You have a child 
  • You adopt a child
  • You are no longer a dependent on someone else’s policy, 
  • You lose Medicaid or CHIP coverage
  • Your insurance carrier made an administrative error enrolling you
  • Your income changes
  • You relocate and you must choose another plan due to the insurance coverage area
  • You have a change in immigration status.
  • You were recently released from incarceration

This is not an exhaustive list. For more information about your specific situation and whether you qualify for a special enrollment period, call your Personal Benefits Manager at ColoHealth.

If your household income is very low, you may also be eligible to enroll in an ACA-qualified plan year round. You can enroll year-round if your adjusted gross income is 150% of the federal poverty line or below. As of 2023, that comes out to $20,385 for a single person, and $34,545 for a family of three. 

faq iconShould I get a Cigna HMO, PPO, or EPO plan?

Should I choose a PPO, HMO, or EPO plan?

The choice depends on your personal health needs and budget.

HMO plans typically have the lowest out-of-pocket premiums. But they also provide the least flexibility when choosing your own doctor, and impose the most restrictions when it comes to seeking care from a specialist.

Both PPOs and EPOs also limit their coverage for non-emergency care to in-network providers. But unlike Cigna HMOs and other HMO options, Cigna’s PPOs and EPOs do not require you to get a referral before seeing a specialist.

If you anticipate you will need to get care outside your plan network, you should look for a PPO plan or an indemnity plan.

Be aware that if you use a PPO plan, you will pay more when you use an out-of-network provider.

faq iconCan I use a health savings account with Cigna Colorado Plans?

Yes, you can possibly make tax-deductible contributions to a health savings account (HSA).  But only with certain health plans known as High Deductible Health Plans, or HDHPs.

By law, high-deductible health plans must have a minimum deductible of $1,500 for self-only HDHP coverage (up from $1,400 in 2022) and $3,000 for family HDHP coverage, as of 2023.

You must also meet certain other qualifications.

faq iconCan I go through an agent and still get an ACA subsidy? 

Yes! In fact, it’s a great idea to get some professional advice from a qualified personal benefits manager before you purchase a health insurance plan.

It costs you nothing. And a professional can provide you with very useful personalized advice that can save you money, improve your coverage, or help you qualify for a subsidy or financial assistance under the Affordable Care Act,

An agent  can also help you quickly identify and compare plans. So you can be sure you’re signing up for the very best plan available for your personal situation. 

We’re Here to Help with Cigna in Colorado!

cigna connect colo logo

ColoHealth Personal Benefits Managers are backed by over 25 years of health insurance expertise and can help you find the plan that’s right for you! We keep it simple and easy to understand with a quick phone call to 800-913-6381 or with our instant quote system below.

Health Insurance Instant Quote

HEALTH INSURANCE INFORMATION

  • Plans approved and authorized under the Affordable Care Act
  • Covers Pre-Existing conditions
  • Low cost subsidized plans available to those earning
    < 400% of the federal poverty level
  • Unlimited lifetime benefits
  • Available during open enrollment (November 1 – January 15), or if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period

Learn More About Colorado Health Insurance Plans

Healthshare Instant Quote

HEALTH COST-SHARING INFORMATION

  • Not health insurance, but a way for like-minded individuals to share medical expenses
  • Waiting periods on pre-existing conditions
  • May exclude sharing for certain conditions or activities
  • Enroll any time
  • Much lower monthly cost than unsubsidized health insurance

Learn More About Colorado Healthshares Programs

Cigna Reviews Section

Note: Your email will not be displayed - for verification purposes only



4.3
Rated 4.3 out of 5
4.3 out of 5 stars (based on 3 reviews)
5 star67%
4 star0%
3 star33%
2 star0%
1 star0%

Loving the Flexibility

Rated 5.0 out of 5
August 7, 2023

Cigna offers great flexibility with their plans, and I can customize my coverage to fit my needs. There are many plans to choose from, with a variety of deductibles, co-insruance levels, and stop loss provisions. So it’s easy to find a suitable plan.

The network is very good. I never have much trouble finding a provider within a reasonable distance, even outside of Denver.

And most importantly, they pay claims promptly. I’ve never had a problem getting the insurance company to pay out on claims, even after I had a heart attack last year and had a total bill of over $100,000.

All in all, CIGNA was a good choice for us.

Paul M
Verified

Easy to Use App

Rated 5.0 out of 5
May 15, 2023

Good plans. Cigna’s app is super easy to use and helps me find providers and track claims effortlessly. M

My son has complicated medical needs. But the app makes things much easier to manage, and CIGNA has come through time after time for us without a problem. Two thumbs up!

Angela A
Verified

Decent plan for the price

Rated 3.0 out of 5
March 21, 2023

Cigna’s service is just okay. I wish their network was bigger, but it’s not too bad.

Kim T
Verified